Composition Concepts
My online repository of thought on composition. The ones worth writing down anyway.
Home Blogger Templates Blogger Tricks & Hacks Tools & Generators Blogs Directory Blogger Falling Objects

Prokofiev on Sequences

As I mentioned a few posts back, I love Baroque sequences but tend to dislike them in any other genre and period. I've been reading the autobiography "Prokofiev by Prokofiev" and came upon this comment by the composer.

"At first glance it would appear that a sequence heightens the emotional effect and gives the motif a new coloration by repeating it on another pitch level. Many composers have been trapped by that. Actually, the effect yielded by sequences is cheaply bought and as something cheap, it should be avoided."
Well, there you go.

Prokofiev, Sergei, Appel, David H. ed. "Prokofiev by Prokofiev". Doubleday and Company, Inc., New York, 1997.

0 comments:

My Blog List