Composition Concepts
My online repository of thought on composition. The ones worth writing down anyway.
Home Blogger Templates Blogger Tricks & Hacks Tools & Generators Blogs Directory Blogger Falling Objects

Power in a name.

Why bother looking for concepts? I got my reasons.

To be in control, that is my goal. I once read Josquin Des Prez described as the "master of the notes", that he could get them to do whatever he wished. That is the kind of control I seek.

Bach was like that. I routinely analyze his music and inevitably discover how everything is so beautifully controlled. Bach's compositional strength was just awesome and it always leave me both dumbstruck and inspired.

So it is with the goal of achieving control over the materials and language of music that I seek out to define and name its core concepts.

So what is the use in naming these concepts? I read this beginner's design book by Robin Williams (she's a woman, this one) and she wrote that "once you can name something, you have power over it." This applies to music as well.

To define and name the core concepts of musical construction requires an understanding of them, and conversely, the concept's name itself leads to a deeper understanding. And with understanding comes control and, with work, mastery.

And that is the power in a name.
0 comments:

My Blog List