Composition Concepts
My online repository of thought on composition. The ones worth writing down anyway.
Home Blogger Templates Blogger Tricks & Hacks Tools & Generators Blogs Directory Blogger Falling Objects

Creativity: taking a break

Writing music can be intense work, and like any intense work, taking a break helps keep the juices flowing.

Do I ask too much of myself? Probably, my wife always says so. I do think it's important to aim high, but the drawback to that mindset is all the stress it can create. Because let's face it, how many Bachs have there been in history? So the paradox is you should always aim for the top, but when the top is Bach, well, good luck buddy.

So I have found that tension builds up easily when I compose, and I have become increasingly aware of this. So recently I have started taking very frequent short breaks. Just walk over to the computer, check my email, come back, that sort of thing. I don't beat myself up over this (I used to) and I come right back to work.

That little break, which occurs every 10 minutes or so, makes a big difference. I find ideas more easily and without tension. It's like a little pressure valve. Just open it for a second, let out some steam, get back to work.

Email is okay, but Google is bad.
0 comments:

My Blog List